Monday, December 15, 2008

We built a house!

I love service projects that are both fun and helpful to others. So, I want to start out our resolution to think and act more for others with a big, sugary-sweet, gingerbread and peppermint BANG!!

Will and I made a gingerbread house a few days ago. We attended a fundraiser for Easter Seals Hawaii with 3 other teachers I work with and their kids. There were 10 of us all together and plenty of laughing, sugar and holiday spirit!

And, Easter Seals is a great cause. One of my friend's daughter received services from Easter Seals for an injury that occurred during her birth. Plus, when I used to work at a children's museum, the local Easter Seals program brought in clients to work in the museum environment and I watched the awesome kindness and patience as well as gentle expertise that the teachers had. I have so much respect for the work that they do and the families that they help. OK, enough, on to the fun stuff! We played with candy all day and helped a good cause. Enough said!

So, here are the ingredients. We actually brought some extra things, but this is what the "kit" included:



And here we start the building process...the walls go up with frosting and toothpicks. Will thought it was hilarious that the glue was frosting. I mean, really, it was too funny to explain...."It's like the glue? But it's frosting? And it's yummy? Can I try it? Mmmmm...can I try some more?"

And the decorating begins....

I realized the gum drops might get pushed down when the roof went on, so we added the roof,


and continued the decorating. You can see that Will's jaw is a little crooked here...that's because he is discovering the joy of eating gum drops. He popped one in his mouth and then mumbled to me "My teeths are stuck." At least, I think that's what he said! Granted, it did not stop him from eating them, of course!

Hmmm....where should the next candy go?

I'm starting to get bored of this whole thing...ok, not really, but maybe if Mom thinks I'm bored she won't notice when I decide that the perfect place for the candy is:



MY MOUTH!!

Seriously, I don't know what is up with that face, but he looks like a kid who does not get candy very often....his mom must be horrible :-)




And it continues...I added the miniweats for the roof...Will was not interested in those. He can have those at home. He was much more into things that he doesn't see often. He was definitely into the "one for the house, one for me" mode of building/sharing.


About halfway through the whole experience, all that sugar kicked in. I tried to get Will to stand next to the finished house and smile, but here was the best...yes, the BEST picture we could get!


So, here is a picture of the completed house by itself. Yes, I should have moved all the "construction mess" that was left over. Sorry. I was ready to get out of there by now!




No comments:

Post a Comment